My Journey

On this blog I intend to document my journey through Breast Cancer again. Yes again. This will be my second go with this disease and I figured this would be a great way to communicate with my family and friends and keep them informed as to what is going on with me.

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Just wanted to share with everyone some pics of the day of my mastectomy.

Here is Darryl trying to take my place. That's real sweet, but I think the Docs might figure it out!!


I love this one!! Here is my mom, my dad and my Darryl!!


My Dad!! Need I saw more??


Going into surgery. Eileen wishing me luck!! She loves pink as much as I do as she is also a Breast Cancer survivor!!!


As some of you know, I was on TV the other night, so some of you saw some pictures of me RIGHT after surgery. I can't believe they chose those!! I choose not to put those on on my blog as they are not flattering!!! Once was enough!!

I met with my Oncologist on Monday to discuss what the next steps are. Looks like I have about a years worth of Chemo. For the next 3 months I will have Chemo once a week. They will be using Herceptin and Taxol, which according to the Dr, have very little side affects. I will then have Chemo once every 3 weeks for 9 months. For this they will use Herceptin again.

All who know me, know that I always end up with the side effects. Not trying to be negetive at all, but it is the truth!! Needless to say I am still stand offish about it. Taxol could cause some hair loss, thinning or not at all and could also cause mild bone aches. Herceptin weakens the heart function and could cause flu like symtoms. It affects the way the heart pumps. Because of this they will do a "MUGA" test, which monitors this, every 3 months. They assure me that Heart Failure is a very small percentage and I also found information on the web to back this up. If anyone would like to look into this you can go to http://www.breastcancer.org/herceptin_side_effects.html. I will also have a PET Scan every 3 months as well as have my blood drawn once a week for 3 months. I guess I need to get used to needles again!! I have been getting very sqeemish lately.

I go for my first "MUGA" test this Friday to get a baseline on my heart functionality. Then next Friday, October 13th, I will begin Chemo. Wish me luck!! They say that I should be able to work along with having Chemo, so we will see. I haven't decided yet if I will return to work before my first Chemo or wait until I get my first dose and see how I react. It is extremely confusing!! I had my staples removed yesterday and do not have to see my surgeon again until they need to remove my port, which will be about 2 years unless I have any complications before then. There is one more Dr visit that I can delete from my calendar each week!!

One last thing.... I just want to thank my sister Marie for taking an entire week away from my darling nieces and her annoying husband (just kidding "other guy") to take care of me while I was recovering. This was the first time away from her girls and it was a huge sacrifice! THANK YOU and I LOVE YOU more than you know!!!

Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

At 6:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Tash,
Just wanted to let you know that I really enjoyed seeing you and your mom when you were up here. You are such a blessing to some many people. I know that it has taken a LOT of courage to even publicize your journey of hope. That's what I think anyways. I am SO proud of you for doing that interview for breast awareness. You never know whose life you may have saved. Keep on being an inspiration to all you meet. You are one to me. I may have health problems but mine are very insignificant compared to yours. I Love You, and I will continue to keep you in my prayers and thoughts. I also tell all I meet about my very inspiring and brave niece, and ask prayer when I visit other churches for you. Tell your Mom hi for me. Hugs and Kisses!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home